Pelvic floor (the set of muscles lining the pelvis) problems affect bladder, bowel and sexual function and can cause pain.
- weak muscle tone
- torn muscles
- hypertonicity of muscles
- trapped nerves
- scar tissue affecting organ mobility
- poor coordination of nerves and muscles
The physical therapy centers that we recommend have advanced training and experience in treating this most intimate part of a woman's body.
- Internal pelvic exam
- strengthening and re-coordination of weak muscles
- down-regulation or relaxation of spastic muscles
- soft tissue manipulation to restore organ mobility
- In some cases use of "energy modalities" such as infrared or ultrasonic therapy to improve muscle function
In our opinion, PT centers that rely on a hands off approach, using only Biofeedback or EMG, are not providing the state of the art therapy that our patients deserve.